How Could A Trivial Thing Like A Skin Tag Kill Your Excitement?
In this modern world, people look up for first impressions in personal and professional life. It is necessary to have a personality that stands out from the normal ones. Even a small thing like a skin tag should not come your way to achieve your goals. Looking perfect and flawless has become the beauty standard of society and hence it is important to get rid of anything that would become an obstacle in the long run.
Skin tags are nothing but small outgrowths which are usually painless and do not cause any discomfort as such. They are of skin color but can even turn darker due to hyperpigmentation. These tags occur due to constant friction of skin with the skin leading to form thicker skin. Skin tags are usually present in the areas with a lot of folds such as armpits, around the groin area, neck and even over the eyelids.
What Are Skin Tags?
Skin tags are small benign structures that come out of the skin like a bump but a little larger. It has a stalk-like structure called peduncle. These tags are also called as acrochordons, fibroepithelial polyp, cutaneous papilloma, and soft fibroma. They are of pinkish color at first but change into skin color after some time, it even turns darker at the time due to hyperpigmentation.
Skin tags are formed due to continuous friction of skin with the skin which makes the skin around that area thicker leading to the formation of skin tags. These tags are usually found in the areas with more fold such as around the neck region, below the breast, armpits, and groin area and even on the eyelids. The size of the tag may vary from 2-4 mm. Sometimes, it can even reach up to 4 centimeters.
What Causes Skin Tags?
Skin tags do not cause any pain to an individual until there is any kind of external force applied over it. Basically, skin tags are formed to due tremendous nonstop rubbing of skin with the skin which causes friction. Due to this the skin around that area becomes thick and lead into the formation of skin tags. These tags can be of pink color in the beginning but change their color with time, they might also turn darker due to hyperpigmentation.
Skin tags are usually seen in the areas which have a lot of friction such as around the neck area, under the breast, on the groin, armpits and sometimes even on the eyelids and buttock folds. These tags are made up of loose collagen fibers and blood vessels. The collagen present in the tag is usually seen in the areas with cover the bones. Although there has not been any solid evidence of how skin tags occur, some of the guessed reasons are pregnancy, diabetes, obesity, and people over the age of 60 witness them.
Are Skin Tags Contagious?
No, skin tags are not contagious or do not spread at any cause. There is no way through which skin tags can pass from one human being another. A lot of people misunderstand that skin tags are contagious and can spread when touched one, which is not true, skin tags are totally safe until they are scabbed of scratched as that might cause infection which can be harmful. Skin tags are totally different from warts and warts are contagious in different ways such as touch or by sexual contact. A wart is usually seen in small children & in adults and is caused due to a virus called HPV.
Surgical Methods for Skin tags
- Cryotherapy: In normal words, this process is also called ‘cold therapy’. During this process, it is observed that the skin is exposed to extremely cold temperatures. This is a treatment in which freezing temperatures are used in order to get rid of skin tags. Cryotherapy is usually done using liquid nitrogen or argon gas which destroys that part of the skin. When the tag freezes, it turns the tag totally numb, usually it takes two to three sessions to get rid of skin tags.
- Ligation: This process is also known as the thread method. Basically, a small thread or a piece of dental floss is used to get rid of skin tags. Use a small thread and make sure the area around the tag is cleaned with an antiseptic liquid. Tie the thread around the tag and make sure that the thread is tight enough to stop the blood flow. Keep the thread on the tag for 2 weeks. You will see the tag drying, once it dries out totally the tag will fall off. It will take two to three words to totally heal the area.
- Tags Removal Cream: This cream is easily available in the market. Apply the cream over the skin tag and cover it up with a bandage or a cloth so that the cream is not wiped off from the tag. It takes at least two to three weeks for the tag to fall off.
- Electrosurgery: This process is also called as Cauterization, this is one of the best methods to get rid of skin tags. In this process, the skin is exposed to extremely high temperatures which lead to burning. The skin tag is burned in this procedure and usually, a wire is used for it. After the tags are removed it takes two days for the area to heal totally.
- Tag Removal Device: This device is available in the market easily. The main work of this tag removal kit is restricting the blood flow reaching the skin tag. It takes a few days to heal the area nicely but it is very important to keep it clean to prevent infections.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Skin Tags:
- Banana peel: This is one of the most effective ways to get rid of skin tag. Banana peels are known for getting rid of many skin conditions such as warts and skin tags. Cut a small amount of the peel and use the inside of the peel. Use the fibrous part on the tag for 15 minutes. Continue this process for a few weeks to get the best results of it.
- Baking Soda and Castor Oil: Castor oil and baking soda affect the pH of the affected area. This helps in getting rid of skin tags effectively. Use half spoon of baking soda and add a few drops of castor oil into it. Apply the paste over the skin tags and keep it for 2 hours. Follow this procedure for two weeks and you will see your tag falling off.
- Manuka Honey: This is a non-peroxide type of honey. It helps in restricting the oxygen supply of the tag which helps it to fall off. Honey is also known for its healing properties which helps in curing the area of the skin tag naturally in two to three days preventing from forming any kind of scars over it. Make sure you cover the area after applying honey in order to prevent it from spreading.
- Garlic: This element is the easiest to find in any market as it is one of the most used ingredients in cooking. Garlic has many benefits as it is known for its antifungal. Antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. It also has many medicinal uses and is consumed for ages. Crush some cloves of garlic and apply it over the tag. You can also use the garlic juice and pour some of it over the tag and keep it overnight. Cover the tag with a bandage or a cloth and rinse it thoroughly the next day. Continue this process for a week until the tag falls off.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil contains lauric acids and alpha-tocopherol which helps in curing skin tags in a few weeks. Simply apply coconut oil over the skin and leave it. Repeat this procedure at least twice a day.
I had an ugly looking skin tag on my eyelid which made me feel anxious every time. A lot of people approached me to ask what is it which made feel bad. I wanted to get rid of the skin tag but was scared to get it operated as it was over my eyelid. Manuka honey was something I had heard of and that is why I decided to use it. I used it regularly for two weeks and I saw my tag shrinking and drying. After which, it fell off and the area dried up in two days.
I had a skin tag over my neck and I didn’t like it as it used to bother me a lot. A lot of people recommended me to consult a doctor and get it removed. I reached out for a dermatologist and got it removed using cauterization. In this method, the tag is burned in order to remove it.
I used to have a skin tag on the neck and It was very ugly to look at. It looked appealing and that is why I decided to get rid of it at home itself. I used garlic as I thought it was the most trusted element, I could use to get rid of my skin tag. I applied it every day for two weeks and it dried and fell. There was still a little part of the area to dry up which healed in two days.